Anyone who is called upon to lead public prayer may feel anxious and possibly inadequate for such a task. This course offers help to relieve the anxiety of inexperienced leaders of public prayer and the discomfort of those with and for whom they pray.
This training offers help for novices as well as veteran leaders of prayer as they create and deliver appropriate prayers in a variety of situations.
DATE: Nov 18, 2017 (9am-5pm)
PLACE: Wrightsboro United Methodist Church (Wilmington, NC)
Participants will learn to:
- Understand various forms of prayer and their applications
- Develop clear content of prayers by analyzing and editing written prayers
- Create prayers for a variety of settings
- Preside at free intercessions (prayers of the people)
- Use a basic form of prayer
- Design a litany
- Lead corporate prayer
This course may challenge some of your assumptions, test some of your preconceived ideas, stretch your thinking and enrich your prayer life. It will, at the very least, present you with an opportunity to grow in the discipline of leading prayer. The primary objective for this course is to enable Lay Speakers and other laity leaders to effectively prepare and lead various prayer forms, in worship and other settings.
The course tuition is $25, plus the cost of the course book (see below). Financial scholarships are available to individuals with such a need. To request please e-mail email@example.com
This course follows the required text, “Let the Whole Church Say Amen” by Laurence Hull Stookey (Abingdon Press, 2001). Each participant will need a copy of this workbook and should obtain it well before class begins as there will be a pre-class reading assignment. This book can be ordered for $13.49 from Cokesbury by clicking on the following link: https://www.cokesbury.com/product/9780687090778/let-the-whole-church-say-amen/ It is also available from other vendors (Amazon etc.).
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
To register and pay online for this course click on the following link: https://harbordistrictnc.org/advanced-leading-prayer/
- This is one of the required courses for those pursuing UMC Lay Speaker certification.
- There are no pre-requisites for this course.
- Clergy are welcome to take this course as a refresher
Lay Speaker Certification Process
For those laity who are pursuing certification as a UMC Lay Speaker…if you have taken the following required courses:
- Lay Servant Basic Course
- Discovering Spiritual Gifts
- History & Heritage of The United Methodist Church
- Leading Prayer
- Leading Worship
- Lay Preaching
- United Methodist Polity
…AND you have been recommended and approved by your Charge Conference as a Lay Speaker candidate, you will need to appear before the district Lay Servant Ministries Committee in order to complete your certification requirements. If you are ready to appear before the District Committee on Lay Servant Ministries please ask your pastor to notify the district so that arrangements can be made for you to appear before the committee.
Requirements for Lay Speaker certification:
- Candidates must be a professing member of a local church.
- Candidates must complete all required coursework (Basic Course; Spiritual Gifts; UM Polity; UM History; Preaching; Leading Prayer and Leading Worship).
- Candidates must be recommended by his/her pastor.
- Candidates must be recommended by his/her church’s charge conference.
- Candidates must be examined (interviewed & preaching assessed) and recommended by District Committee on Lay Servant Ministries.
- Candidates must finally be approved by Conference Committee on Lay Servant Ministries.
For more info about the Lay Servant Ministries Program click HERE