Rev. Tara Culp Lain, Harbor District Superintendent
Tara Culp Lain was born and raised in Wilmington, NC. She graduated from Hoggard High School, Peace College and received her B.A. from UNC-Chapel Hill. She completed her MDiv at Duke Divinity School.
Tara served mostly recently as the pastor of Trinity UMC in Wilmington. Over the years, she served in youth and children’s ministry, program ministry, minister of visitation and as the Volunteer Ministries Coordinator at the Hinton Rural Life Center in Hayesville, NC.
Tara is married to Rev. Doug Lain who is currently serving Wrightsville UMC. They have three children: Olivia, Emily and Everett.
Mary Hartsell, Gateway/ Harbor Administrative Assistant to the DS
Mary was born and raised in Aberdeen, North Carolina and has been a life-time member of the United Methodist Church. Graduated from Sandhills Community College with an Associate Degree in Computer Engineer. Mary has served with NCCUMC Disaster Ministry for the last 4 years working with survivors that were affected by the Hurricanes. Mary is also been active in the UMC through Conference Committees and Local Churches. She has served as the Gateway District in the last 4 years in various ways.
Mary is married to Lloyd for 40+ years and has twin daughters (Samantha and Jessica) and two grandchildren (Madelyn and Aiden). Mary enjoys the mountains, music, and being with her family.
John Kelso, District Lay Leader
John Kelso graduated from Allegheny College in 1966 (History major) and from the University of Pittsburgh, School of Law in 1969 (Juris Doctor degree) after which he passed the Pennsylvania Bar Exam. He then entered the FBI as a Special Agent and retired in 2002 at the Senior Executive Service level. His primary areas of investigation were Domestic and International Terrorism. He was also a trained Hostage Negotiator.
John married his wife Lydia in 1967 and they are the proud parents of twin sons, Glenn and Mark, who both retired in 2017 as Commanders in the U.S. Navy. They have three grandchildren: Morgan, Spencer and Allyson.
In retirement John has been active in:
- Triunity United Methodist Church in Southport (Lay Leader, Chair SPRC, Chair Church Council, Chair Safe Sanctuary Committee) and sings tenor in the church choir, rings handbells and plays clarinet in the orchestra
- Former President of the Alumni Council at Allegheny and awarded both the Blue and the Gold Citation
- Former member and President of the Southport/Oak Island Kiwanis Club and active in Teen Court, Peer Court and the Listening Post
- Awarded the Duke Energy Progress “Power of One” award in recognition of his dedication and commitment to the children and families of Brunswick County
- Former volunteer fireman and fire police in St. James
- Plays clarinet in the Brunswick Concert Band and the Wilmington Symphonic Winds
- Sings tenor in the Sea Notes Choral Society
- Member and former President of the Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI
- Plays golf and tennis
Assoc. District Lay Leader (NW Sub-District)
Assoc. District Lay Leader (NE Sub-District)
Assoc. District Lay Leader (SE Sub-District)
Assoc. District Lay Leader (SW Sub-District)